Domestic Violence Order for Protection

You may ask the court for an order to protect you from someone that abused or harassed you. This is called a “domestic violence order for protection”. By asking for an order, you become the “petitioner”. The person you want to be protected from is the “respondent”.

You can now request a Protection Order online via PC, smartphone, tablet, or other devices. Click the button below to request Protection Order.

For more domestic violence resources, visit our domestic violence page.

“domestic violence protection order” does not apply to strangers, co-workers, or neighbors. If you are worried about someone that does not meet the below qualifications, you may petition for an anti-harassment order.

Victims of Domestic Abuse have certain rights to protect their safety. Read your rights below:

What can an Order for Protection do?

  • Order the respondent to stop committing violent acts.
  • Order the respondent to vacate your shared home
  • Order the respondent to avoid your home, work, or school.
  • Order the respondent to stop contacting you in person, by phone, by mail, or through someone else.
  • Order the respondent not to contact or interfere with the custody of your children.
    • If children are shared, custody is decided through a divorce or parenting plan.

How do I qualify for an Order for Protection?

In order to qualify for an Order for Protection, you must be related to the respondent in one of the following ways:

  • Husband, wife, or partner (present or past).
  • Father or mother of your children
  • Adults related by blood or marriage
    • This includes parents and adult children.
    • This includes in-laws and stepfamilies
  • Adults who live together (or lived together in the past)
  • People 16 years or older who are dating (or dated in the past)

Where do I get an Order for Protection?

You can now request a Protection Order online via PC, smartphone, tablet, or other devices. Click the button below to request Protection Order.

You do not have to make a police report to file for an order. You may also file for one at the following Pierce County locations:

County-City Building
930 Tacoma Avenue S., Room #108, Tacoma

Crystal Judson Family Justice Center
718 Court E., Tacoma

Gig Harbor Municipal Court
3510 Grandview Street, Gig Harbor

Bonney Lake City Hall
19306 Bonney Lake Blvd, Bonney Lake

PCSD South Hill Detachment
271 John Bananola Way E., Puyallup

City of Tacoma
747 Market Street Room 836, Tacoma
(253) 591-5000

405 Broadway, Tacoma

City of Sumner
1104 Maple Street, Sumner
(253) 863-8300

Contact the Crystal Judson Family Justice Center at 253-798-4166 for transportation assistance.

What information do I need to submit an Order for Protection?

  • First Name
  • Last Name
  • Middle Name
  • Address
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number
    • If the respondent is in the military, a social security number and address is needed to serve the order on post.

What happens after I file my Order for Protection?

Your petition will be reviewed by a judge or court commissioner. They may grant a “Temporary Order for Protection” or deny the request. 

If an employee helped you file a petition, contact them to find the status of your petition.

If the order is granted, you will receive two copies:

  1. One copy is for you to keep 
  2. The other copy will be served to the respondent. The order is not in effect until the respondent is served.

If the respondent lives in Lakewood, take the respondent’s copy to the Lakewood Police Station (9401 Lakewood Dr SW, Lakewood, WA 98499).

If the respondent does not live in Lakewood, an advocate can assist you in sending a copy for service to the right place.

How long does a Temporary Order for Protection last?

If granted, the Temporary Protection Order lasts two weeks. 

After that, you must appear in court in Tacoma before a judge who may grant a longer protection order. Your court date will be on your order for protection.

If your abuser ignores the order or is angered by it, you may be in danger. Protect yourself and call 911 if your abuser violates the order.