Municipal Court Common Questions

The Lakewood Municipal Court serves many purposes. Below are the most common questions asked by Lakewood residents.

General Questions
Fines and Tickets
Police and Court Records
Court Operations

General Questions

Where is the Municipal Court and when is it open?

  • The court is on the first floor of Lakewood City Hall at: 
    6000 Main Street SW, Lakewood, WA 98499
  • Counter: Monday – Thursday: 9:00am – 12:00pm & 1:00pm – 4:00pm;
    Friday: 9:00am – 12:00pm
  • Phones: Monday – Thursday: 9:00am – 11:30am & 1:30pm – 4:00pm;
    Friday: 9:00am – 12:00pm.
  • [email protected]

What is a misdemeanor vs. a gross misdemeanor?

  • In general, gross misdemeanors are offenses punishable by up to 364 days in jail and misdemeanors are offenses punishable by up to 90 days in jail. A fine may also be imposed. A fine for a gross misdemeanor may not exceed $5,000 and $1,000 for a misdemeanor.

What is an infraction?

  • Infractions are non-criminal violations of the law. This includes violations such as speeding, parking, watercraft violations, code violations, and animal complaints. Previously, many traffic and criminal violations were considered crimes. However, in 1981 Washington decriminalized minor offenses. This resulted in a major change in the way courts of limited jurisdiction deal with those offenses. Now, many traffic, parks, wildlife, and fisheries offenses are civil infractions.

When is my court date?

  • Find my court date
  • If you arrive late to court (less than 30 minutes late) you will be seen after the individuals who arrived on time. If you arrive more than 30 minutes late you will not be seen and will need to reschedule.

I cannot appear at my court date. Can I reset it?

  • If you have a non-criminal traffic matter, you can appear in person at the counter before the scheduled date to request a new court date. This can only be done once. If you have a criminal matter, you cannot reschedule your court date.

I missed my court date. What should I do?

  • Contact the court at (253) 512-2258 or come in person to review your options.

How do I quash my warrant?

  • Contact the court at (253) 512-2258 or come to the counter with photo ID to review your options.
  • Read the court rule on warrant recall procedures.

How do I get my driver’s license reinstated?

  • If your driving privileges are suspended, the state Department of Licensing explains how to get your license reinstated.
  • If you just paid a ticket that was in collections that suspended your license, the court will not release the hold until payment has been received from the collection agency. This can take 3-5 business days for payments made by credit/debit, or 10 business days for payments made by check. The process is not expedited by calling the court.
  • Please be advised the court does not notify agencies out of state, as your Washington driving record is property of the state Department of Licensing, not the court.

How can I view the local court rules?

How do I get help for Domestic Violence?

My car was impounded by Lakewood Police. How do I get it?

  • Our court does not handle vehicle impounds. You would need to contact Lakewood Police (253-830-5000).

Fines and Tickets

How do I make a payment on a fine?

Can I get on a payment plan?

How do I view my photo ticket online?

Does a photo ticket go on my driving record?

  • No, photo enforcement tickets for red light and school zone violations are NOT reported to Department of Licensing and will not become a part of your driving record.

What is your collection agency?

  • If your account was sent to collections, you will need to contact the court to verify which agency has the account. Alliance One can be reached at (800) 456-8838. If your driving license is suspended for unpaid fines ask if you qualify for the PIA (re-licensing) program. Dynamic Collectors can be reached at (800) 464-3457. If your driving license is suspended for unpaid fines ask if you qualify for a re-licensing program.

Court and Police Records

Where can I get a copy of my police report?

How do I obtain court records? How much does it cost?

How do I vacate a conviction or delete my criminal history?

How can I request a criminal history report?

Where can I find a speed measuring device certificate of calibration?

Court Operations

What is Veteran’s Treatment Court?

  • Veteran’s Treatment Court serves the cities of Lakewood, Steilacoom, and DuPont. Veteran’s court is for anyone who has served in the armed forces who has an open criminal charge with a nexus to a service-connected disability. The veteran also has to meet the requirements of eligibility as a candidate per RCW 2.30.030. The court’s mission is to work collaboratively with community partners and resources to help Veterans reintegrate back into our community more effectively by connecting them with the services they have earned. Learn more.

How can I view the Municipal Codes?

How do I appeal the Judge’s ruling?

  • You must file an appeal within 30 days of the Judge’s decision. The appeal packet has instructions. Please note that court personnel cannot provide legal advice so you may wish to speak with an attorney. For criminal appeals, consult your attorney.

Can we get married at your court?

  • At this time our judge is not performing wedding ceremonies. You should be able to obtain a list of judges from the Pierce County Auditor.

Can I file for divorce at your court?

Can I file small claims at your court?

Can I change my name at your court?