The City of Lakewood offers several programs to assist with home repairs, general home upgrades, or funding to buy a new home.
The City does not offer placement programs to help individuals find houses or apartments.
If you are currently homeless or in danger of becoming homeless: call 2-1-1 for help.
Housing Program Manager
6000 Main St SW
Lakewood, WA 98499
To email Jeff Gumm add his email handle before @cityoflakewood.us
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Tacoma Housing Authority Webinars
Each month the Tacoma Housing Authority hosts webinars related to landlord and tenant rights. Join the City of Tacoma Fair Housing Team to learn about the following topics:
- May 11 Retaliation and Harassment.
- June 8 What is Steering?
- July 13 Advertising and Marketing
- Aug.10 What to consider when renting to families with children.
- Sept. 8 Accommodations for people with disabilities.
- Oct. 12 update on VAWA and the additional protections that have been added for DV Victims in housing.
Please feel free to pre-submit questions by emailing [email protected]. Note: the length of the meetings will depend on how many attendees and questions received.
Rental Housing Safety Program
The Rental Housing Safety Program ensures that all rental units within city limits are safe. Rental property owners are required to register their property yearly with the City. On top of this, they must submit to inspections every five years.
Visit the city’s Rental Housing Safety Program website to register a property and learn about the inspection process. You may also contact the Rental Registration Specialist at [email protected].
If your rental unit is unsafe and requires immediate attention, email [email protected].
- Ensure Lakewood’s rental housing meets specific life and fire safety standards;
- Promote compliance with these standards so that the health and safety of tenants are not jeopardized;
- Increase awareness and sharing of information related to rental housing standards among existing and future rental property owners, property managers, landlords, and tenants.
Assistance for Puyallup Tribal Members
Tribal members at or below the Area Median Income (AMI) may be eligible for rent and utility assistance.
Contact Tashina Smith at (253) 680-5990 to inquire.
Home Repair Assistance
The City has several programs to help low to moderate-income homeowners repair their homes. These programs address health & safety issues, code violations, and other problems.
Many repairs or improvements may be eligible. Examples include roof, electrical, plumbing, structural, window & door, insulation, heating, siding, appliance, and sewer repairs.
We offer loans with much lower interest than standard bank loans. Low-income households may be eligible for 0-1% interest rates. As these programs offer loans, participants are expected to repay funds. Terms may be tailored to meet borrower’s needs.
Contact Program Coordinator Martha Larkin at (253) 983-7754 for assistance.
CDBG/HOME Program Income Limits
|Family Size||30% |
The city’s rental assistance programs are currently closed. Learn more about available programs through Pierce County’s Human Services department.
The City no longer offers down payment or mortgage assistance programs.
The City does not offer utility assistance. Utility providers may offer assistance. Visit the Utilities page to find contact information for local utility providers.
Tacomaprobono Housing Justice Project
The City of Lakewood has funded Tacomaprobono to provide free legal aid to residents at risk of losing their homes to eviction. For more information, visit the Tacomaprobono page.
If you have received an eviction summons or need free help with other housing issues, please contact Tacomaprobono.
Email: [email protected]
- Eviction Resolution Pilot Program
- The Eviction Resolution Pilot Program offers dispute resolution between landlords and tenants. This may help avoid an eviction.
- Visit the website or call 1-855-657-8387.
- Dispute Resolution Center
- Center for Dialogue and Resolution
- Visit the website or call 253-572-3657
- Email [email protected]
- FY 2022 Annual Action Plan – Draft
- Tacoma-Lakewood HOME Consortium Draft HOME ARP Allocation Plan July 2022
- CDBG- CV2 Proposed Use of Funds
- FY 2021 Consolidated Annual Action Plan
- 5-YR 2020-2024 Consolidated Plan and 2020 Annual Action Plan
- City of Lakewood Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice
- FY 2020 Consolidated Annual Performance Evaluation Report
- U.S. Housing and Urban Development Entitlement Program Fact Sheet
- HUD COVID-19 Fraud Bulletin
- FY 2021 Consolidated Annual Performance Evaluation Report