Lakewood City Hall

Development Services

Lakewood Development Services reviews all permits, building applications, and building inspections. Use this page to find information on permits, building information, and building inspections in Lakewood.

Lakewood Permit Desk
6000 Main St SW
Lakewood, WA 98499

(253) 512-2261
[email protected]

Phones & Email:
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Permit & Service Counter:
Monday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

The Service Counter is open for general questions. No over-the-counter review or issuance of permits. Use the Permit Portal for permit submittal and issuance.

Schedule a meeting for specific project questions. Email [email protected] at least 24 hours in advance to make an appointment.


Jessica Olson
Development Services Manager, Community Development
(253) 512-2261
Email: JOlson
To email Jessica Olson add her email handle before

Rafik Gindy
Building Official
(253) 512-2261
Email: RGindy
To email Rafik Gindy add his email handle before

Contacting the Permit Center

We are happy to help answer questions about your permit. Because of the number of applications and questions we receive, we ask that you make an appointment or visit during service desk hours.

Visit the Permit Desk during service hours:

  • Speak with our first-floor receptionist between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m, Monday-Friday. The receptionist will contact the permits team and someone will come to meet you.  They may be able to answer your question, or they may need to set an appointment for you.

Call or Email:

  • Your call will go to an answering machine. Describe your issue or question, or request an appointment. Please include your contact information in your message. We check messages twice daily. We will call you back shortly.
  • Appointments must be scheduled 24 hours in advance. We can meet virtually via Zoom or at City Hall.

Live chat in Permit Portal

  • We are available for live chat through the permit portal between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday. Look for the chat button in the upper-right corner of the permit portal.


Deferred Submittals

The Building Department no longer accepts deferred submittals for plumbing or mechanical permits.

Water Availability Certificates

Water availability certificates must be provided as part of the building permit submission. To obtain a water availability certificate visit the Lakewood Water District located at 11900 Gravelly Lake Dr SW, Lakewood, WA 98499.

Digital copies of plans are now required for all permit applications

A digital copy of all plans must be provided at the time of intake.

Online Permit Submissions

The City of Lakewood is now utilizing a new permitting system which allows permit applications to be submitted online through a portal. All completed application forms must be submitted through the portal. The Permit Application Guide Walkthroughs provide assistance for those navigating the system.

Permit Information

The City of Lakewood Community & Economic Development Department prefers electronic submittal packets. Larger projects must be submitted electronically.

How to Apply:
  • Choose the applicable permit from the list below
  • All commercial projects are required to submit building, plumbing, and mechanical permit applications at the same time.
  • Plans must be complete at the time of submittal
  • Residential projects only require only a building permit at the time of submittal.
  • Once the documents have been reviewed, the permit technician will enter the permit into our permit system. An email will then be sent with payment information.
  • Once payment has been received, the receipt will be available online through the dashboard.
  • Note: The City does not process permits for work within mobile homes. Please contact the state Department of Labor and Industries (L&I).
Permit Approval:
  • An email from the Permit Technicians will be sent advising that the permit(s) have been approved. This will include the remaining balance that is due and whether the contractor information is required prior to issuance.
    • We accept Visa, MasterCard, or check(s) (payable to the City of Lakewood). 
    • Please note, if check is returned as NSF there will be an applicable fee and permit will be revoked until another form of payment is received.
  • Once final payment has been received you will receive an email notifying you that the approved set of plans will be available for download from the Dashboard. Please print out one full-size set of plans and keep them on-site at all times for inspection purposes.
Permit Revisions:

All revision submittals should include a revision summary. The revised pages should be marked with the revision number and date, and revisions should be called out by being clouded. Revisions are required to be complete sets of plans.

  • For Permits submitted prior to 10/27/2021, beginning with letters “BP” – (Example: BP-21-00001)
    • Commercial Projects
      • Email [email protected] a copy of the Revision Submittal form.
      • A permit technician will contact you back and provide steps on how to proceed.
    • Residential Projects
      • Email [email protected] a copy of the Revision Submittal form, as well as any plans/drawings.
      • A permit technician will respond within 48 hours of receipt.
  • For Permits submitted after 10/27/2021, beginning numerically (Example: 1234, 123)
    • Complete the Revision Submittal form and resubmit the changes online through the Dashboard.

Archived Permit Lookup

If you need to find a permit that was submitted before October 2021, click the button below.

Permit Applications and Handouts


Permit Application Guide Walkthroughs

Building Permits

Planning and Land Use Permits

Public Works Permits

Downtown Subarea Plan Permits

Wireless Facility Permits

Building Inspections

Request an Inspection

For permits beginning in BP (ex. BP-21-11111):

  • Request your inspection by calling 253-512-2266.
    • Please note: for a next-day inspection, calls must be received before 2 p.m. Monday-Friday.

For permits with a three (3) or four (4) digit number (ex. 1234):

  • Request an inspection through the permits dashboard.
Electrical Inspections

The Building Division does not perform electrical inspections.

Depending on your geographical location, either Tacoma Public Utilities or the state Department of Labor and Industries (L&I) performs the inspection.

Once you have determined your electrical provider, please visit the corresponding website for an application or to schedule an inspection:

Map of Lakewood Electrical Providers

Common Questions and Documents

Commonly Requested Documents

General Questions

Where can I apply for a permit?

  • All permit applications must be submitted online through the Dashboard. Contact the Permit Counter staff at (253) 512-2261 for more information.

Do I have to make an appointment with the Permit Counter staff to ask questions?

  • No, Permit Counter staff is available by online chat or in person 9 a.m to 3 p.m. M-F. If you would like to make an appointment to discuss a permit (applications will not be accepted) please contact the Permit Counter staff at (253) 512-2261 to make your appointment.

What are the fees for a permit?

  • Fees depend on the type and scope of work. Fees for various permits can be found in the City’s Master Fee Schedule. Total fees for a project will be calculated at the time a permit application is submitted. Contact the Permit Counter staff at (253) 512-2261 for more information.

Permit Questions

When do I need a building permit?

  • The International Building Code adopted by the City requires that you get a permit before doing any:
    • A. Construction, enlargement, alteration, repair, movement, demolition, or changing the occupancy of any building or structure; and
    • B. Installation, enlargement, alteration, repair, removal, conversion, or replacement of any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system.
  • Some exceptions to this rule include:
    • One-story detached residential accessory buildings used as a storage or tool shed, playhouse or similar use. They must be 120 square feet or less in size, no taller than ten feet, and must be placed on the rear half of a lot with at least a three-foot setback from side and rear property lines.
    • Interior movable cases, counters and partitions not over 5’9″ high..
    • Retaining walls and rockeries no more than four feet tall. Please call the Community Development Department to assure that permits are not needed.
    • Platforms, decks, walks and driveways – Ask the Permit Counter staff or call (253) 512-2261.
    • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, and similar finish work.
    • Residential window awnings – Ask the Permit Counter staff or call (253) 512-2261.
    • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one-and two-family dwellings.
    • Prefabricated residential swimming pools – Ask the Permit Counter staff or call (253) 512-2261.
    • Fences (Click on the ‘fences’ button to find out more)

Do I need a permit for a shed?

  • Non-vehicular storage structures less than one hundred twenty (120) square feet and less than ten (10) feet in height, when placed on property where the owner resides do not require a building permit or zoning certification. However, they must be placed on the rear half of a lot with at least a three-foot setback from side and rear property lines.

Do I need a permit for a patio cover or carport?

  • Yes, you will need to obtain a building permit and setbacks from the property line must be observed.

Do I need a permit for a fence?

  • Fences less than or equal to six (6) feet in height and not obstructing the clear line of vision of vehicular traffic approaching the location from any street or driveway do not require a permit.
  • Fences greater than four (4) feet in height are not typically allowed within the front yard setback and fences are not allowed within fifteen (15) feet of the ordinary high water mark (OHWM) on shoreline lots.
  • Fences greater than six (6) feet in height will require an administrative variance or major variance depending on the height.
  • Fences greater than seven (7) feet in height must meet applicable setback standards and require a building permit.

Do I need a permit for a water heater and does it require an inspection?

  • Yes, whether you are installing a new type of water heater or replacing an existing one, it is required that you get a permit prior to the installation and follow through with an inspection.

Community DevelopmentBusiness Licenses
Economic DevelopmentOpportunity Zones