Welcome to the Lakewood 2024 Comprehensive Plan Periodic Review website. Check back here regularly for the latest information, events, and meetings for the process.
Lakewood is creating a task force to assist the City in reviewing potential updates to the Comprehensive Plan, and Development Regulations. If you or your organization is interested in participating, please contact Tiffany Speir, Long Range & Strategic Planning Manager, at [email protected]. Appointments to the task force will be made in early 2023.
The Planning Commission will hear from a series of subject matter experts about the 2024 Periodic Review beginning on September 21, 2022 and continuing into 2023. You can view the Planning Commission meeting materials as they are published here. You can watch the meetings live or after the fact here.
What is the 2024 Periodic Review?
State law requires many cities, including Lakewood, to complete a periodic review of their entire Comprehensive Plan and development regulations, including regulations for critical areas and natural resource lands. Lakewood must complete this review by December 31, 2024, and then future reviews every 10 years after that. City Comprehensive Plans and regulations must be up-to-date with the requirements of the Growth Management Act to be eligible for grants and loans from certain state infrastructure programs.
What is being reviewed?
Every “element” or chapter of the City’s Comprehensive Plan as well as the development regulation codes that implement them. The City will also be reorganizing the Plan as part of the review to make it more readable.
What is in the Comprehensive Plan?
Comprehensive Plans have a 20-year time horizon. The Plan is intended to shape Lakewood’s operations and growth for the next two decades by including policies, goals, and strategies about:
- Land Use (general distribution, location and extent of the uses of land (e.g., residential, commercial, industrial, parks and open space, public institutional, military))
- Housing (ensuring the vitality and character of established residential neighborhoods; identifying sufficient capacity of land for housing including, but not limited to, government-assisted housing, housing for moderate, low, very low, and extremely low-income households, manufactured housing, multifamily housing, group homes, foster care facilities, emergency housing, emergency shelters, permanent supportive housing, and within an urban growth area boundary, consideration of duplexes, triplexes, and townhomes)
- Capital Facilities (streets, roads, highways, sidewalks, street and road lighting systems, traffic signals, domestic water systems, storm and sanitary sewer systems, parks and recreational facilities, and schools)
- Utilities (including, but not limited to, electrical lines, telecommunication lines, and natural gas lines)
- Transportation (implements, and is consistent with, the land use element; discusses air, water, and ground transportation facilities and services)
Lakewood’s Optional Comprehensive Plan Items
Lakewood has adopted optional elements to its Plan, including:
- Tillicum Subarea Plan (2011)
- Downtown Subarea Plan (2018)
- Lakewood Station District Subarea Plan (2021)
- Energy & Climate Change Element (2021)
Who decides the 2024 Periodic Review is done?
- The City Council will take action to adopt any updates to Lakewood’s Comprehensive Plan and development regulations before December 31, 2024. In addition, the WA State Department of Commerce and Puget Sound Regional Council will be involved in reviews of the Plan and regulations, and may require additional changes before the process is complete.
How can I get involved in the Periodic Review?
- Lakewood needs your input! The City will be reviewing many topics as part of this review and needs the expertise and feedback of residents, businesses and organizations to make this Plan review the best it can be. Please sign up for updates and leave your comments below, and thank you!
Where can I find out more?
- This page will be the best place to watch for more information and updates about the 2024 Periodic Review. For specific questions you can find answers to here, please contact Tiffany Speir, Long Range & Strategic Planning Manager, at [email protected]
Sign up for updates
Fill out the form below with your email and contact information to receive updates from the city as they are available through the periodic review process.